Documents required and steps for the filing of a green card through marriage

Drag to rearrange sections
Rich Text Content


US perpetual occupants who live in the United States can appeal for the permission of their companion as a US Permanent Resident. While the amount of time needed to get an endorsement may vary, contingent on the conditions on every individual application, US Green Cards are given on the possibility of Marriage which may now and then be acquired in just half a year.

What are the eligibility criteria to get a green card through marriage? 

To support a life partner for a marriage green card, the solicitors should be possibly US residents or permanent inhabitants. Furthermore, to the present, the patrons should meet the resulting prerequisites.

  • The spouse and along these lines, the immigrant should be lawfully married and should deliver an authentic marriage endorsement.
  • The spouse should be at least 18 years old to be prepared to sign the oath.
  • Must not give many reports like a duplicate of an outsider's visa, clinical assessments, police clearances, verification of the spouse's citizenship, marriage endorsement.

Methods of getting a green card through marriage: 

US citizenship is acquired either by birth or through naturalization. To get citizenship for your spouse, the sole conceivable way is through naturalization. For your spouse to get citizenship, he/she should be at least 18 years old, married to you, a US resident, and lived in the US for a time of three years without disrupting while having a green card. At first, you'll support your companion for a green card through marriage measures, and once your spouse meets the needs, he/she may be prepared to apply for US citizenship.

First Step - documents to be submitted for green card through marriage: 

  • Proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent resident
  • Form I-130 and I-130A with filing fee $535
  • Two photos of each
  • Marriage certificate
  • Termination documents for any previous marriage if any

Documents to provide the marriage is entered in good faith

What if the alien spouse is in the US?

The alien spouse can adjust their status through Form I-485 if several eligibility requirements are met.  If the spouse is a US citizen, Form I-130 and I-485 can be filed together with USCIS. If the spouse is a green card holder, the two forms can not be filed together unless a visa number under F2A category is available according to the Visa Bulletin issued by the Department of State. When filing Form I-485, they should include their passport information page, US visa stamp page, entry stamp page, birth certificate, two photos and Form I-864 Affidavit of Support and other supporting documents. 

Eventually, you will receive a I-485 interview notice and both of you should appear at the interview which will be held at a USCIS local office near your residence. If the officer is satisfied with your documents and performance at the interview, a permanent resident card will be granted after the interview. 

What if the alien spouse is outside the US?

After Form I-130 gets approved by USCIS, the case will be forwarded to the National Visa Center for immigration visa processing. Civil documents like passport page, photos, birth certificate, marriage certificate, police clearance certificate and Form I-864 Affidavit of Support and its supporting documents should be submitted to the National Visa Center through its electronic processing portal, CEAC. Before submission, $325 and $120 must be paid to NVC. 

After NVC finishes reviewing all documents, an immigrant visa interview will be scheduled at a U.S. consulate in the country or region where the alien spouse has permanent residence.The US citizen or permanent resident spouse is not required to go with the alien spouse.  If the visa officer is satisfied with your documents and relationship, an immigrant visa will be produced on the passport. Then the alien spouse can step on the land of the US with the visa. A physical green card will be mailed to your home within 90 days after the alien spouse enters the US. 


The US citizenship rights and advantages that your spouse acquires are various. He/she will have the right to cast a vote, apply for a visa, and go after government jobs, get social advantages, and so on. Obtaining US citizenship will get your companion from hostile to outsider laws; thus, your life partner can acquire the right to support family members and relations to move to the US.

Drag to rearrange sections
Rich Text Content

Page Comments