With an endless amount of food and everything being so delicious, it is no surprise that we end up eating a lot more than what we should on Thanksgiving. Things can get especially difficult if you are on a diet, however, for people following keto there is a solution that does not require sacrificing the taste. One of the most controlled items on your Thanksgiving menu is the stuffing. Let us share with you a recipe that follows the keto rules and it is still extremely delicious.
How is the Taste?
The thing that makes you want to eat beyond reason on Thanksgiving is the fact that everything tastes so delicious. For the dressing, there are a lot of things that you must put in that when combined can turn into something amazing. This keto style dressing only changes what is essential and brings as a replacement just the right ingredients to make it feel like it is balanced again. In fact, this specific recipe turns out to be so delicious that you can even eat it phonics on. You get everything that you expect including bread, vegetables, sausages, and an array of aromatic spices to make the entire thing look, smell, and taste delicious.
Type of Bread to Use
Since the main ingredient of the stuffing is the bread, it is important to address that as well. In our experience, the bread you use is entirely up to you, if it meets the criteria set by keto diets. You can even find keto croutons from any place that sells it and use it in your keto stuffing. Alternatively, you can also simply buy keto bread and toast it after dividing it into chunks. If you do not have access to keto bread or want to use something else, we suggest going for a good multigrain or bran bread. All of these will work perfectly, and you can choose the one that you like best.
Stuffing the Turkey
This is something that we find to be an entirely personal decision. Every household has its own preference when it comes to the stuffing. Some people keep it separate while others put it inside the turkey as well. We think you can opt for either method because the only effect it would have is that you would get all the juices from the Turkey soaked in it as well. It should not affect your keto diet in any way and is therefore completely doable.
Here are the steps that we follow and making hold on keto stuffing every Thanksgiving.
- Preheat your oven to 175C (350F). Take a baking pan, spray it and put aside.
- Take a 12-inch skillet and fry the sausage in it until it turns brown.
- In a separate pan, sauté the vegetables of your choice and add to the sausages.
- Once ingredients are well mixed, add salt and pepper to the mix and pour in poultry seasoning and broth.
- Once the concoction has come to a simmer, add the croutons, and gently stir.
- Turn off the stove and cover your skillet for a while. The croutons will start absorbing all the liquid and soften up.
- Once the liquid is completely soaked by the croutons, pour the entire stuffing into the baking pan you set aside. Bake for about half an hour or until the stuffing becomes golden brown.
Try this recipe at your convenience and let us know how it goes. One thing we are sure about is that you can enjoy all the stuffing you want without having to worry about breaking your keto diet!